Friday, December 30, 2011

Zucchini Pancakes

I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of this! 

Day 2 was more difficult than day 1; I felt pretty lazy most of the day but I'm not sure if it was because I'm fighting a bit of a cold or if because of the diet....or maybe a little of both?  Needless to say I wasn't really motivated to do much of anything and, other than getting some practice time in, didn't get a whole lot done.  Good thing I'm on vacation, right?

I did make some delicious tuna fish salad for lunch though!  I always forget how much I like tuna until I have it....it totally hit the spot!  (And gave me a meal idea for sometime in the future too!)

I think one of the things that made day 2 hard was the fact that I got hungry only a couple hours after every meal.  So today, for day 3, I made a larger breakfast than I had for the first two days and it really helped!  So, I think that is one of the keys is to eat a good size breakfast.  May sound obvious to some of you, but it has made quite the difference for me today and it's my plan for tomorrow as well.

So here is what I had: zucchini pancakes! :)

I found a recipe online and tweaked it a bit:

1 zucchini (grated)
2 green onions (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg (beaten)
some olive oil
--Shred the zucchini, chop the onion, and then combine them in a bowl and flavor with salt and pepper
--Drain the water away from the zucchini...this step was not mentioned in the recipe, but would have been really helpful! (my suggestion is to use a strainer and be sure to get as much of the water out as possible)
--Next add the egg and mix it all together
--Add just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of your pan and heat it up!
--Once the oil is hot, divide the zucchini in to four pancake mounds in the pan.  You can use your spatula to flatten them out a bit, and they will take a good 5 minutes or so on each side to cook.
--Once they are cooked through and brown enough to your liking on each side, you are finished!

there they are cooking in the pan!  
I was a little nervous as to whether or not I would like them because I don't normally like zucchini but they were actually quite good!  I definitely plan on making them again. (I will be sure to get a good 'after' picture then as well.)  

And since I talked all about having a good breakfast, I will have you know that in addition to the pancakes I also had one additional egg scrambled and an orange.  Quite the daredevil, aren't I?! :P

Nothing much more to report for now; I'm still feeling somewhat tired today but I've got some yummy smelling beef stew cooking on the stove, and a workout planned for a little later that I'm looking forward too.

take care!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog... and as I am one of your biggest fans in real life. It isn't surprising to me at all that I would love reading about your food adventures.

    I am excited to go make zucchini pancakes... maybe that will be my New Years morning recipe.

    I'm proud of you. Keep it up... and keep the blog going... I'm enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete