Thursday, December 29, 2011

Day 1

Well, I made it!

For breakfast yesterday I had a 2 egg scramble with onion, bell pepper, and spinach.  It was pretty good but I found myself hungry again just a couple of hours later.  It was no big deal because I was home, but I was hoping that breakfast would hold me over longer.....perhaps I need to add another egg or egg white to the mix and get some more calories?  Or maybe try and find a good sausage (not likely) or bacon? 

So for lunch I had a pretty big salad with grilled chicken on it.  I pounded out the chicken to tenderize it some and then cooked it on my George Forman grill.  It was awesome!  The chicken took about as long to cook as the chopping veggies did so it made for a pretty quick meal. (bonus points!)  And then for dressing I did the juice of a half of lime, a little bit of oil and some spices.  I was pretty hungry by that point so didn't want to take time figuring out an awesome dressing, but it worked and I was happy :)  ...And I still have half of the chicken breast for another meal.

After getting hungry fairly quickly after breakfast I wasn't really sure how long the salad would hold me over so I packed a snack on my way out the door and decided to only eat it if I got hungry while I was at school practicing.  So about 3 or so hours after lunch I ending up having my snack of a Lara Bar and some cut up celery with some sunflower butter.  Here's the not so fun part though: can you guess which of those things turns out not to be Paleo friendly?    Ya, it's the sunflower butter. (Bummer, right?!)

When I bought the sunflower butter I was super stoked because you aren't supposed to have peanuts while doing Paleo and I had read somewhere that this was a good alternative.  But alas, it is not.  The darn thing has a little bit of sugar in it and it also turns about you aren't really supposed to have seeds either.  So what the heck am I supposed to put on my celery and apples for snacks?!  I suppose almond butter is the actual alternative to peanut butter but it doesn't really taste good to me so it sort of makes the situation a double bummer.  But, I'm trying to do strictly paleo for 30 days so I'm going to suck it up and go and see if I can exchange the sunflower butter with the almond butter.  (Trader Joe's is pretty good about exchanging so Im hoping they will let me even the the sunflower butter is already open.)

By the time dinner rolled around I was pretty hungry again and didn't really want to eat the leftover chicken so I went hunting for something quick.  The answer: shrimp!  I bought a bag of frozen shrimp so I took some out and ran them under water of varying temperatures until they were defrosted....this took maybe 10 minutes or so.  In the meantime I took half of the asparagus I bought and started steaming that.  To prepare the shrimp I sauteed some onion and garlic and then added the shrimp along with some cayenne, cumin, and cilantro.  It ended up being delicious with some fresh lemon juice drizzled over it all and it was another super quick meal which we all can appreciate. :) 

Yummy!
So that was it!

I would say that hardest thing for me was not being able to go get a coffee from Dunkin' Donuts.  Call me crazy, but when I was out running errands I wanted nothing more than to have a medium iced coffee with 2 cream and 2 pumps of cinnamon! (ha!)   I obviously managed and it's clearly not that big of a deal, but I think I'm going to find that the hardest things to give up are going to be the things that I have worked into my schedule.  It also takes a ton of planning because you really are cooking every meal and no one wants to eat the same three meals every day.   That's all a part of the fun though, right?

Looking forward to day 2, I'm hoping to up my water intake and get my heart rate up some.  And I'm also thinking of making some beef stew. :) 

Stay tuned!

p.s. I promise every post wont only be about what I ate that day....I'm sure I can find more interesting things to write about :P

1 comment:

  1. Your eats look great! To keep the hunger at bay, try upping your fat consumption. Add avocado to your morning breakfast scramble, olive oil to your salad dressing, etc. You'll be amazed at how much it helps! Also, for snacks, try a handful of nuts now and then. You have to be careful not to overdo, but because of their fat content, they help stave off the hungries!

    ReplyDelete